The Roughriders were beaten 21-18 by the Montreal Alouettes on Sunday, Nov. 28 in the CFL championship game before 63,317 spectators at Commonwealth Stadium. It was the second consecutive year that the Alouettes prevailed over the Roughriders in a Grey Cup game.
Archive for November, 2010
This is a mix of good and bad news. We were hoping for much smaller development than this 25 lot plan approval but at least it is almost using minimum 1ha lot sizes (its using average lot size of 1ha with a smaller minimum of 0.8ha). We still believe from the science presented that this will a) cause more dry wells in the area, including ourselves; b) cause runoff pollution into the napanee river; c) cause upstream water table pollution into our well as well.
From the ccfwp.com website this morning
—cut here —
Special Council Meeting results
Nov 23, 2010
Well, after a long wait and in front of a full house, council has made a decision on the number of lots at last nights special meeting! The planner and LAWYER for the Jayne’s made a last minute bid to get 35 lots approved and offered no more scientific information or concessions. It was very apparent that they are not going to spend anymore money until they get a number!!
Their message to council was very clear:
1. They have had enough of the delays
2. They will not be paying anymore for the township’s consultants if further delays arise from not making a decision past the evening
3. They suggest that if council can not make a decision maybe they need to allow the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing make the decision for them!
We then heard the VERY STRONG recommendations from Malroz Engineering (the townships hydrogeologist) that development is highly NOT recommended BUT if council felt compelled to approve something, that 25 lots would be the maximum. The final number would be based on restrictions that the lot size average would not be less then 1ha (2.5acreas) with no lot being less then .8ha (2 acres). Its all about RISK MANAGEMENT at this stage and little about the science! Due to the difficulty of getting the science on this type of typography our only option is to accept a risk management approach.
Next to speak was Tunnock Consulting. He reiterated Malroz Engineering’s recommendation! This was a complete turn around from the last meeting.
Each council member had lots of good questions and Dwayne Williams continued his campaign trying to get the 35 lots approved, to the point that he made a motion that 35 lots be approved!… This didn’t prove successful as he was not able to get a seconder!!.. MOTION DIED!!
After comments, clarifications, questions by the remaining council a motion was put on the table. That they approve 25 lots with the lot size restrictions as well as a phased in approach. This will include wells being placed on ALL lots on the south east corner (the portion behind the Jaynes) and pump testing to be completed at a dry season. If this proves that there is significant influence on adjacent wells, then this could reduce the number of lots allowed. In addition, there were a list of several conditions applied including a Record of Site condition (Phase 2 environmental assessment) of the railway bed. If this area proves contaminated then they may be subject to a cleanup and a reduction in the number of lots.
The work ahead is not done! We still need to ensure that these items in fact are completed. Right now we still need official notice from the Ministry of what the final decision will be. Council’s decision translates into a recommendation to the Ministry. The Ministry now takes that information and makes a final ruling.
We have for sale a set of four winter wheels (tire and rims) as they are not the same size as our new vehicle, otherwise we would still be using them.
Goodyear Nordic P215/65R15 95S winter tires on 15″ rims (already balanced) $250 or best offer for the set.
They were originally $100 tires and $60 rims (totalling $640) and have had 5 winters and approx 50k km of use on them.
Even though we’ve had more than a dozen if not two dozen nights of frost, it continues to be warm in the area. Weather is nothing if not variable.
The garlic should be getting a good start before the ground freezes solid, which may not happen for another few weeks.
The cold room continues to be doing well, no mice and relatively cool and stable temperatures in the 9-10 deg C range. Much better than inside the house wildly fluctuating between 14 and 24.
This past weekend was one of the best in months. We finely had time to be at home without outside commitments. Having the Saskatchewan Roughriders win the Western Final was an added bonus.
We got caught up on a lot of TV that has been piling up for a few weeks and got to relax.
Kim actually got a chance to do some solar observing through the Coronado Solarmax and a few images of the flares as well.
2010 November: I finished upgrading the last of my work servers running Linux Fedora 13 to 14 over the weekend and all in all, one of the smoothest upgrades in memory. It took maybe an hour for one and two hours for the other, a reboot and then another 1/2 hour downloading and installing updates since the DVD was released.
No new features that particularly appeal to me or that we use, but it will keep security updates fresher as older versions become unsupported.
We finally found a local supplier of straw and purchased a few bales on Saturday and managed to get them out onto the garlic beds Sunday, the object being to help insulate them from bitter cold and wild temperature swings.
The ground is already exhibiting frost heave signs from the shallow soil and cold wet bedrock underneath.
We plan to add another 5-10 yards of dirt to the roughly 500 ft^2 giving it at least another 6″ of depth, sometime in the spring, on the unplanted regions of Veg 4A and 4B, saving enough to do Veg 4C after the garlic harvest.
Speaking of dirt, every new place we try out has been disappointing.
Too many weed seeds, garbage and cigarette butts. So next year we switch again and see how the new guys work out.
The weekend was again sunny and unseasonably warm, so up went the holiday lights, down came a lot of tree branches that needed trimming and in general a good cleanup in preparation for snow.
Our transport recently had a collision with a deer and was eventually written off as too expensive to repair. She was a great van with very little wrong otherwise… a real not-a-lemon.
10 days later enough of the bureaucratic process moved through that we were able to purchase another transport, several years newer, a lot less kilometerage and what seems to be a male persona – so we named it the BluesMobile, or Jake, depending on the mood at the time.
Still getting used to it but vastly prefer it over the rental, a Mazda6.
Our week and a half use of the Mazda has convinced us never to even look at Mazdas in the future.
Who needs a speedometer that goes to 260kph? With the scale, you can not reliably gauge your own speed +-20kph, not to mention that the steering wheel (adjustable) blocks the view of that gauge. If you move the wheel, it shows the gauge but then blocks your high beam and turn signal indicators, amongst others.
Bad design bad design!
I was driving back home after picking up the books from the auditor when I saw a great big fireball. It was 17:41 EST in the west north west. I was just coming up to the county line from Frontenac to L&A on Colebrook Road, approx lat 44.3984, long -76.7340 (use maps.google.ca and the New! LatLngToolTip feature that gives you lat/long where you point).
I noticed it at about 45 degrees elevation in the twilight. It was
bright! Brighter than mag -4 or -6?
It lasted longer than 5 second and maintained a steady brightness
without losing any bits. No trail that I could see. The path ended about 10 degrees off the horizon.
The SCO allsky camera started up at 17:45 now and in any event, that time image was still very bright and washed out and would not have caught this one 🙁
We’ve changed the start time to 17:30 EST now in any event (as of this morning) and the image capture will stop at 06:00 ESTm both times well into twilight.