The Heirloom tomatos came out of the greenhouse, spent a few days outdoors and then went into the ground on May 30/31.
Stakes and or cages went on them right after that.
Yesterday, after 23 days, some of them were tied up to their stakes, as they were getting large enough to warrant it. Many were bent over from the constant westerly wind and this new standing upright will be a surprise for some of them.
Archive for June, 2015
The trick is to keep ahead of them. We started with checking in the evening, and have now moved to morning and evening.
The potatos were put in the ground on 2015 May 19th and the bugs arrived 26 days later. The potatos came up maybe 14 days after planting.
Funny how the thing that is supposed to save you from troubles (an Uninterruptible Power Supply powering the RadioJove receiver and computer) is the thing that fails and gives you troubles.
Yesterday morning the Radiojove system went off the air.
Ironically we noticed it while on a Radiojove teleconference later that evening. It was a relatively new 550VA UPS, maybe 2 or 3 years old.
In any event it restarted relatively smoothly. Radio skypipe always needs to be “Started” manually with a mouse click.
During the teleconference we did discover that we were behind on versions again. So we downloaded the newest 2.7.3 and are trying it out. So far so good.
Still have to diagnose the UPS to see what is wrong with it.
We have successfully updated from Linux fedora 21 to fedora 22, 5 systems now, all without any issues whatsoever. The 6th and final system however had failed, 10 times now.
The upgrade process starts off well with
fedup –network 22
downloading 1800+ packages and completing successfully
The next step is to reboot into the upgrade.
Welcome to Fedora 21, reached target local file system, mounting drives, reached target system upgrade
Then it reboots back into Fedora 21, too fast to see what error was on the screen.
Time after time this repeated. Logs showed nothing helpful.
In desperation, I videod the screen and watch it frame by frame in playback and came across these errors:
messages:Jun 3 13:38:34 S99 upgrade-prep.sh: ln: failed to create symbolic link ‘/system-upgrade-root/var/log’: No such file or directory
messages:Jun 3 13:38:34 S99 upgrade-prep.sh: moving mounts into /system-upgrade-root
messages:Jun 3 13:38:34 S99 upgrade-prep.sh: mount: /system-upgrade-root is not mountpoint or bad option
messages:Jun 3 13:38:34 S99 upgrade-prep.sh: mount: mount point /system-upgrade-root/sysroot does not exist
Google searching showed no answers. Permissions look good, the correct symbolic links and folders appear in the root directory. I even added chmod a+w to see if that made a difference. It did not.
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23 Jun 3 13:27 system-upgrade -> /var/lib/system-upgrade
drwxrwxrwx 3 root root 4096 Jun 3 12:30 system-upgrade-root
A few more attempts were made with
fedup -d -v –network 22 (debug, verbose)
but that only showed more info on the initial download of the 1800+ packages.
Then also tried to start from scratch with
which erased all of the download packages and trying again, still failed the same way.
Also made sure of enough drive space by removing some older kernels. It looks like space is not an issue.
$ df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda3 50G 9.6G 38G 21% /
/dev/sda6 202G 114G 78G 60% /web
/dev/sda1 477M 189M 259M 43% /boot
/dev/sda5 39G 1.1G 36G 3% /home
So we are at a standstill until we can come across some tip or idea on how to proceed from here.
Potato Crop 2015
We planted on Tuesday May 19th and only had the first ones come up (Yukon Gold and Kennebec) on Tuesday June 02, or 15 days later.
* planted potatos veg 4c 5 hills to a row, 8 rows running north south, 2′ between rows
* planted two more types 6 and 5 hills in one row veg 4b
In planting order
In Veg 4C
Veg4B eastern most side
We have been cutting down on the types and number of potatos as they just do not seem to like growing here. We suspect it is because of a lack of soil depth.
This main bed 4C (8’x23′ or 180 ft^2) was prepped with 5 bags of composted sheep manure (0.5,0.5,0.5) or approx 1 bag per 36ft^2 and approx 1 yard of triple mixed earth.
Its time to put the 2015 tomatos into the ground.. and so they did this past weekend (2015 May 30/31). We have moved past the last killing frost of the year and it is time.
The 86 plants have been hardened off for the last week or so. The bed was tilled up, weeds and grass pulled, 3 yards of new triple mix garden earth was added, sheep compost added (0.5,0.5,0.5 at about 1 bag per 30 ft^2), tilled up again, raked smooth, and around the perimeter, weed cloth and sawdust to keep the grass and weeds farther away.
It took about 3 hours to plan, plant, put in signage and update records.
Plants were approx 1.5′ apart in a bed, and approx 2′ row spacing.
It was cool, cloudy and windy with severe thunderstorm warnings for the area.
The 3′ chickenwire fence was inspected and repaired where needed.
The 7′ high deer fence was inspected repaired and where needed.
Alphabetically by type (some spellings are almost certainly iffy.. will correct when possible)
36 types, 86 plants
craigs unknown yellow
craigs unknown yellow #6 plant3
craigs unknown red
craigs unknown yellow #6 plant4
garden peach urban harvest
garden peach FF