Page Created: 2003 September 03
Page Last Updated: 2007 May 03

Welcome to the Starlight Cascade website!
Home Astronomy Gardening Weather

Located near Yarker, Ontario, Canada (44.22.39 N 76.45.47 W    155M Elevation) in the Township of Stone Mills

Kev's ATM Dobsonian Stand Project

Page last updated: 2007 June 24

Start of the Project: 2007 May

Intro

We purchased a used Starwatcher brand 20cm (8") f6 dobsonian mount telescope in 2006 April. The first thing we noticed is that it is too low to the ground to use for prolonged periods of time, especially with older and slower moving backs :)
So we started using a plastic milk crate to give it about 25cm (10") more height. The obvious drawback was that the crate was not stable relative to the ground and the scope was not stable relative to the create.
So we wanted to build a taller stand for the scope. Some of the criteria were: three point contact with the ground, rock solid as hell, the legs not to extend out past the existing mount, the ability for the scope to easily sit down on top in the dark without a lot of effort, and the ability to leave it outside in the weather.

This design came into being. Starting at the top, an inner circle of plywood sized to allow the existing mount feet to settle over top fairly tightly. The edges were beveled to allow this. A bigger circle to act as a floor for the mount feet. The main body under that made out of a spare 1"x8" 4' board. The five sided design came out of that. We would have preferred a circle (next to impossible with my woodworking skills, or a hexagon (6 sided) but that didn't happen either. Finally the legs. 1"x2" were tried and discarded as being way to unstable and weak. 2"x3" were tried as well mounted flush to the main body and still the entire assembly had a tendency to tip over. So we needed a greater stance yet. We ended up wih 2"x4" mounted to the body on the narrow end (extending out 3.5") and then we cut an angle off the bottom feet to allow a smaller point of contact with the ground. Tada! Finished. Mostly.

Two coats of white paint to allow it to be seen easier in the dark and three coats of exterior varathane. Took it out for testing on May 18th and it works great!

stand
20070515-02.jpg
20070515-02.jpg
20070515-07.jpg
20070515-07.jpg
20070515-11.jpg
20070515-11.jpg
20070515-15.jpg
20070515-15.jpg
20070515-17.jpg
20070515-17.jpg
20070515-18.jpg
20070515-18.jpg
20070515-19.jpg
20070515-19.jpg
20070516-06.jpg
20070516-06.jpg
20070516-07.jpg
20070516-07.jpg
20070516-08.jpg
20070516-08.jpg
20070516-09.jpg
20070516-09.jpg
20070518-08.jpg
20070518-08.jpg
20070518-18.jpg
20070518-18.jpg
20070519-13.jpg
20070519-13.jpg