Finally! After two years since the last opposition of Mars, I had a great night of imaging it. I had previously done a few back in June but Mars was much smaller then.
So this past Friday evening, not a great night in that the Moon was up and lighting up the southern half of the sky. I had to wait for mars to clear the trees of the eastern horizon and that was close to 21:41 EDT. I did my usual 30 second run, then another 30 second run with firecapture’s autoalign feature turned on, getting a record of the seeing that night. Then I immediately launched into a series of 180 sec runs.. as many as I could before having to turn in for the night. Fridays, like most week work days, are very long days.

I am using the new firecapture 2.7Beta and am impressed but it. I have not yet figure out how to run a batch of runs but will sometime. I used an ROI of about 600×600 pixels allowing for a faster frame rate, yet enough room for Mars to wiggle about the FOV.

My processing starts with running PIPP to centre and crop the video stream down to 500×500 pixels.
Next is Autostakkert! 3 to stack the best 5%, 10% and 25% based on the analysis of quality done as the first step. It also expands the image resolution x1.5 to 740×750 pixels.
At this point I stop and take a look at the images. Very disappointing and soft.

This is the last of the 11 runs and Mars had reached the lofty altitude of 22 degrees.

I keep forgetting that Registax can do the worlds of wonder with wavelet processing.
I am using severe high level wavelets, to get the details to pop out. and boy did they ever. To the point that I thought most the image was noise artifact. But then when all of the images showed similar features, I knew it was good. I also put together the 11 runs of imaging to get this animated image of approx 31 minutes: